Saturday, May 06, 2006

I'm a Spicy New Mommy

If "spontaneity is the spice of life", then I have just become very spicy. For a very long time now, I have wanted a dog. I've been researching breeds and rescue organizations. I was even willing to drive ten hours to get this little yorkiepoo:


Unfortunately, they were sold out by the time I decided I might want to go for it. I had decided that I was being foolish and a dog was a bad idea now anyway.

Someone in our department sent an email about how the animal shelters are overwhelmed with pets that college students have left behind like the sofas and end tables that now fill the Tallahassee dumpsters. The shelter was on my way home this afternoon, so I called my roommate and we took a little trip.

It was heartbreaking. If I had the space, I would've gotten one of the older dogs that are less likely to be adopted because everyone always wants the younger, sexier puppies. We knew we needed a small dog. We picked the one that gave the greatest quiet cry for help - an adult chihuahua mix. He started shaking when I picked him up. I took him to the play room and he nuzzled his head into my lap. He would explore the room and then run back to my lap to kiss my face. He also looked like a kitten when he played with the ball on the floor. I whispered sweet nothings into his ear and, while my roommate bonded with him, I went for the application.

I was glowing when I asked for the dog from kennel 37. She looked at me apologetically. "He's already been adopted. He gets picked up Tuesday."
I almost cried. I told her that they really should put up signs so people don't get their hopes up and fall in love with someone else's dog.

"Well, there is another one..." Her hesitancy made me nervous. "He hates men. Seriously hates them. He freaks out when any of our guys gets near him. When he came here, his skin was rubbed raw from his collar. But he's really sweet - as long as you're not a guy."

"It's okay - I'm in a long distance relationship anyway," I said.

When they brought Buddy into the room, he was also shaking. I could see where the fur was coming back on his belly and under his legs. He wasn't as affectionate, he wasn't as playful, but I fell for his buggy little eyes. Someone told my roommate that they are more likely to euthanize the dogs with issues. That was all I needed to hear. I filled out the application. On Monday, they will clip his little manliness and then send him home with us. We made a trip to Petsmart to pick up supplies. I was a little covetous of the Westies and Boston Terriers - I have never really liked chihuahuas, and I detest making dogs cutesy. The more I think about his quiet sweetness and the help he needs, the more impatient I am about Monday. And, I've decided that he needs a better name. He needs a name that makes him feel tough and big.
I think I'll call him "Bruiser."

1 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Heather said...

awww! yay for buster! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home