Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Decisionator Strikes Again

For the fifth time in two years, I am moving. Quick recap:

#1- Moved to Tallahassee from North Carolina - sublet townhouse for the first six weeks
#2- Moved to current apt. complex with new roommate Jen - had to settle for a micro apartamento for the first few weeks until the bigger one opened up
#3- Moved to townhouse with Jen
#4- Moved to other apt. with Miriam
#5- Move to my own little bungalow (pending)

I still hate moving. Since I had been planning on moving to Gainesville in the fall, I wasn't prepared for apartment-hunting in Tallahassee again. Knowing my propensity to collect an overwhelming number of options before evaluating a single one, I decided that I needed to go with my gut a little more. Today, I drove aimlessly through the city and left many messages with property management companies. I finally realized that everything is pretty much the same (with broad margins). The best deal I could get on a place was in the $400-$560 range. I just needed to find the least bad place.

As I finally decided to cry "uncle" and go home to wait for a call from the cheap little apt. in the semi-sketchy complex by the railroad tracks, I saw THE place. A small, grey house with white trim. I called the number on the "FOR RENT" sign. The price was good, her description was good. I went home to relax and start my other work, but I kept thinking about this house. I called the owner, and we met for a quick walk-through. It's not perfect, but it suits me for a year. It's older - the former residents did a doozie of damage on the floor and tub in the bathroom. All should be well before I move in. A young couple lives in the front half of the house, which makes me feel more safe.

The lack of a dishwasher only slightly dampens my enthusiasm. The stove is cute. Mentally, I've already started planting flowers and taking meals on my oversized deck. Of course, I may be anti-flower if I have to wake up to this (see below) wallpaper every day. I've always liked having a roommate, so this change will be huge. My current roommate had already put a deposit down on a new place much closer
to campus because I told her I was leaving.) Actually, she's not around right now, so this will be posted on the internet before she even knows I found a place. I should probably work on that.

In other news, Bruiser and I are starting to bond ever so slightly. We'll have to see how this all plays out once I introduce him to La Casa de las Flores.

And, I played with the law school students last night at Big Daddy's - probably the dirtiest little place on the Tennessee Street strip. My roommate's study partner has a band. I had a fantastic time. My quality of life has increased significantly recently; it makes me not hate myself quite so much. Everything is pretty enjoyable now. And the things that aren't - well I just have to let them go.

I hear the roommate stirring, so I should go give her the news and brush up on my dishwashing skills - or maybe I'll just enjoy the last few weeks of the whirring and whooshing of clean dishes.

1 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Heather said...

cute, very cute. i think you and cooj will be very happy there. execpt err, that wallpaper *cringes*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home