Friday, June 09, 2006

"OUR HOUSE...in the middle of the street"

Ever since last Saturday, I've been on a relentless hunt for a new place. There isn't really a rush since we probably won't officially be out until mid-August, but I'm afraid that as the 18-22 crowd start their trek back to Tallahasee, the half-desirable places will be taken. I will be stuck sharing a flat with a gaggle of squealy, happy-to-be-away-from-home girls with no hygiene. (Not that there's anything wrong with that - some of my best friends are squealy, happy-to-be-away-from-home girls with no hygiene...)

But trying to find a place to house both Cujo and I hasn't been easy. Many places that allow pets do so because the old stains will not be easily distinguishable from the new. This is less than desirable. Even though I'm already over on my cell phone minutes (the only phone I have), I still spend at least four hours (not necessarily on the phone) every day trying to find a place to stay. I've also become the unofficial real estate agent for another lady in our office, who is trying to find a cheap apartment for her college-aged son. I've got it down to a science.

I considered a studio efficiency, but only because I am easily won over by gimmicks. Give me hardwood floors, high ceilings, and a translucent, wood-frame divider for the bathroom walls, and my discretion gets lost in my "ooohs." It was a peach cinder-block palace on the outside. When I realized only two pieces of [my cheap] furniture could make the move with me, I kept looking. Plus, Cujo and I might need some space.

The place I'm set on now is a 1/1 apartment in a newly renovated complex. Apparently this place used to be sort of bad before they evicted half of the tenants and got strict about their renters. It's next to good neighborhoods. They even made their own website. Even if they are all stock photos, I like the image they want to create for themselves. (Only one photo is actually from the Franklin Pointe Apartments.) I'm not sure about the big-brother-eyes on the "maintenance request" page...but the rest of it is pretty good.

The best part is that they'll take the Cooj and I'll have a nice amount of space to myself. If the Cooj and I can't make it work, I'll still like the apartment and the price. The bitter rental agent (personality conflicts with the other employees, I think) gave me insider tips on what to request so I get a really nice apartment. She mentioned that a seven pounder like Cooj might not make his mark enough to warrant the pet deposit ($100) and increased rent ($25) that comes with loving an animal. And, just like the translucent-bathroom-divider thingy in the studio, I think I got a little suckered by the decorating.

Once my dog and I love each other and I find an apartment, I'm afraid my life might just fade into a blue-grey cubicled monotony that is too bored to post entries. (I'm countering this by requesting the deluxe apt. with a large living room/dining room.) Until then, I'll keep you updated. A few years ago, I was writing about my solo travels. Now I'm just happy to be ankle-deep in housing possibilities. And I just found a great foam that deep cleans your carpet. "Don't get too close to my fire 'cause, uh, you'll just get burned."

1 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Heather said...

<-- sucker for fancy packaging too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home